To provide clarification and practice of because, so that, infinitive of purpose in the context of crime - murders in history through guided discovery
To provide detailed reading practice through using a text about A Body in the Mountains and highlighting the new vocabulary in the context of crime - murders in history
Procedure (41-54 minutes)
* Sts try to guess the three lettered magic word of the today's lesson (Why). * Sts see the title of the reading and try to guess the plot of the story in pairs.
* T. elicits and introduces the new vocab. needed to read the text. * CCQs: * quiver: Do we use it to put the arrows in it? * arrow: Do we use it as a weapon? * copper: Is it a material? What colour is it? Are coins made of copper? * axe: Is it a weapon? Is it heavy? Do we use it to cut trees? * fire-starting kit: What do we need to cook a meal? Do we use it to cook a meal in the forestor to boil water? * medicine: Do we take it when we are ill? Is asprin a medicine? * bearskin shoes: Is bear an animal? What kind of animal? What do we call outside layer of our body? * stone dagger: Is it a part of a rock? Does dagger look like a knife? Do we cut something with it? * Sts read the police report and talk about it in pairs for 2 mins. * T. gives coloured papers which are name of the groups, Sts start to play the game in which they are going to tell the story by answering questions. * After each question they discuss quickly write their decisions and stick it to the wall. * The one who gets the most correct answer wins. *Sts watch Video 1 in the middle of the game and Video 2 at the end of the game.
* 1. Sts see 3 sentences taken from the text and try to fill in the gaps. * Sts fill in another 3 sentences. Compare with their partners. * FB on the WB answer key. * 2. Sts match the sentences beginning and the endings. Compare with their partners. * FB answer key on the board. * Sts then complete the rule. * CCQs * He killed her to steal her money. 1. Did he want to steal her money? 2. What was his purpose? * He killed her because he wanted to steal her money. 1. Why did he kill her? 2. Did he kill her to steal her money? * He killed her so that he could steal her money. 1. Did he kill her? 2. Could he steal her money? 3. Was his purpose to kill her or to steal her money?
* Sts fill in the gaps. Check with their partners. * FB answer key on the WB. If necessary clarify.
* Sts write their own crime story in pairs using the TL. * Sts then change their partners and tell their stories to the others.