Assessed TP2 - Bad hotels (listening)
A2 Pre-intermediate level
Listening: getting the general undersanding of people talking about hotel experiences, and then listening for more details.
Speaking: getting Ss use language in the context of bad hotel experiences. The activities are quite controlled at the start, but they end with a freer roleplay.
Procedure (37-49 minutes)
1. (1 min) T greets the Ss and tells they're going to continue talking about the same topic of the previous period, hotels. 2. (2 mins) In pairs, Ss are asked to brainstorm 5 things that can go wrong while staying at a hotel or make a bad hotel experience. 3. (2 mins) T gets WCFB and writes up 5-8 ideas.
1. T chests listening text houndout pointing at the hotel picture before distributing HO. 2. T elicits any information they can see, e.g., it's a small hotel. No swimming pool. 3. T explains this hotel is in Brighton, a popular seaside holiday resort in the south of England. 4. T CCQs by asking Ss to give the name of a similar place in Turkey (Antalya, Bodrum, etc.) 5. T asks class to imagine that they are staying there. "Do you think it will be nice? Why? Would you like to stay there?" Ss will be reminded of their answers at the end of the first listening activity.
1. T tells Ss they are going to listen to part of a radio programme in which two people stay in this hotel. 2. T asks Ss to listen and tick the problems the guests had. 3. T asks Ss to gesture a tick and elicits that they have to tick problems. 4. T plays the recording. 5. T asks Ss to compare their answers. 6. T gets WC FB and checks answers (1, 2, 6).
1. T asks Ss if they remember the order of events in the listening text and tries to elicit the second event, without confirming or disconfirming answers. T tells them not to worry as they're going to listen to get the right order and gives them 1 minute, to try to remember the order in pairs. 2. T plays the recording and then gets WC FB and checks answers.
1. T asks class to say 10 words they remember from the story and writes them up. 2. T tells class in pairs, if they can retell the story in only 2 minutes. 3. In one minute T gets FB from random different pairs.
1. Teacher groups Ss in small groups and tells them to tell each other about their worst hotel experience. 2. T chests handout and points out the Vocabulary and Speaking ex 4. and tells them they can use the questions to tell their stories. 3. T gets quick FB from 2 or 3 groups
1. T tells Ss they're going to act out the roles of Nicki and Gavin and the hotel managers. They can decide whether they want to make their experience positive or negative. 2. T shuffles Ss and mixes them in groups of 4 explaining to them the two stages of the activity: a. The hotel owners/managers work together to agree whether they want to give a wonderful or a horrible experience, while the guests decide if they want to be positive and friendly or negative and suspicious experience. b. the 4 sit together and start the rolepaly.