Living on the plane!
To provide an opportunity for the students to practise reading comprehension in the context of the living place.
To let the Ss practise reading for gist and reading for specific information followed by some practise of prepositions of place.
Procedure (45 minutes)
1. Show them some pictures of the places where people live like a house, a flat, a villa, a studio and a tent. Then, elicit their names from the students. 2. Ask them some of them where they live but first give an example about yourself: I live in a flat. 3. Give them a picture of a home. Ask them to write the names of the different parts at the bottom from the box. No. 1 is done. Do no.2 also as an extra example. (PW)
1. Draw a big plane on the board. Point some parts of it with an arrow. 2. Put the students in two groups. Give each group some cards with words on them to match with the pointed parts of the plane. 3. Give them the photo of a plane with the name of its parts so that they can check their answers. 4. Concept check the vocabulary to check if they really know the meaning of those words.
1. Write 3 titles on the board.Then, give the students the text and ask them to take a look at the text and choose the best title. (3 min.) 2. Ask who has chosen the title No.1? Why? No.2? Why? No.3? Why? (2 min.)
1. Give the students a series of questions about the text. Concept check the words they may not know to make sure they understand the questions well. (1 min.) 2. Ask the students to read the text again in more detail and to write down the answer to those questions in pairs. (10 min.) 3. When finished, give them an answer sheet to check their answers. (2 min.)
1. Ask the students to underline the prepositions of place in the text. (2 min.) 2. Ask them to check their answers together in pairs. (1 min.) 3. Then, give each pair a table to complete with an appropriate prepositional phrase. The first one is done in the chart as an example.(5 min.) 4. Play "where is the toy?" game. Ask a volunteer student to go out of the class. Other students should hide the toy somewhere in the class. When the student comes back, he should ask e.g. "Is it in Hilal's bag?" Then, the other students should answer: Yes or No. He can ask only 5 questions and after that he loses. This can be played one or two more times depending on the time left.