TP7a Lesson Plan "Do you like new year?"
For sts to review and practice the adverbs of frequency in the context of New Year.
To give sts practice in gist reading in the context of New Year.
Procedure (36-48 minutes)
- Ask sts if they like New Year or not and what they do in New Year. - After speaking about NY, tell them that they will listen to a recording of two people, one from Korea and one from the UK, who talk about New Year. - Tell them that you will teach them some vocabulary which will help them to understand the record easier - Elicit the words chess, fireworks, midnight and sunrise by drawing them on the WB - Ask 'What are the traditional Turkish foods?' - If they can't answer, give them examples and clarify the meaning of 'traditional' - Write the words on the WB and drill them
- Get them in pairs, give them the first HO and give the instructions for ex.1 and tell them to underline the correct words from conversations (gist reading) - Play the CD and get WC feedback
- Give them the second HO and give instructions for ex. 2 and tell them to complete 1-3 with the highlighted words (adverbs of frequency) - Play the CD again - Get the WC feedback
- Give them the third HO and tell them to put the adverbs onto the scale in the correct order, in pairs - Whilst the sts are on the task, draw a scale and ask every pair to come to the board and write one answer - Drill the pronunciation of the adverbs during the FB - After FB, write 'Istanbul is never rainy in the summer.' and 'It never rains in Istanbul in the summer.' on the WB - Elicit the form and clarify the use of adverb in the two different sentence structure
- Get sts into two groups - Choose one young person from each group. - Explain them the rules for the game (young sts run to me- get one paper which has a sentence in wrong order on it- take it to your groups- correct the sentences- if they are in the right order get another sentence)
- Get them in pairs - Tell them that they should write 5 sentences about what they do in New Year - Give them 2- 3 minutes for it - Make them read the paragraphs to each other with their partners - Monitor and do error correction whilst they are reading each other's sentences