To give students writing practice by producing a job application letter using the target language.
To practise both reading for gist and reading for information, to use the target language.
Procedure (35-48 minutes)
* Put the Ss in pairs. * Ask the Ss "What is your dream job?" and the Ss to tell each other. * Feedback peers answers By speaking about dream jobs the students will be able to participate in the lesson and get interested.
* Ss will read a job application letter. Get them to answer the question, "Do you think Melanie is a good worker?" by reading for gist. Check answers in pairs. (- By reading for gist Ss will be able to read faster and get the general idea of the text. By checking in pairs, the energy level will hopefully raise after a quiet reading activity.) * Feedback. * Ss to read the text again, and complete exercise 2 on HO. Do this exercise in pairs. Feedback. (By reading for detail, where students have to find reason, they will practise their scanning skills. I will do this activity in pairs as their reading skills are not very strong.)
* Write model sentences on the board. I was a very hard worker I made friends easily (mention It was an easy job.) * Highlight the adverb and the adjectives. Ask Ss where they are within the sentence. Define the positions of the words, and what they describe (noun/verb). -ly ending for most/ also teach irregular (good / well, fast / fast, hard / hard). CCQs: Where is the adjective/ adverb? What is it describing? * Students in pairs to identify the words in Exercise 3. This way they will be able to see the differences between adjectives and adverbs.
* Students to do Exercise 4. Choose adverb or adjective in pairs. Provide answer key. (By doing this exercise Ss will be able to see the identify the target language.)
* Give Ss a vocabulary sheet with adjectives. Get them to do picture matching activity. Write answers on the board. (I have chosen this activity to prepare the Ss for the freer practice, they will learn additional vocabulary to describe personalities / behaviours. I will provide the Ss with an answer key so that we don't spend time on feedback)
* Ss to write a job application letter for their dream job, using both adjectives and adverbs to describe their personalities and their strengths. Monitor Ss, take notes for error correction. * Ss to read and check each other's work. Feedback to class
Board Running- grab pictures of which sentence is being described by the teacher. The student who makes the correct guess will then have to define adjective or adverb in the sentence.