To provide students with MPF of the Present Perfect tense and to differentiate its meaning from the Past Simple tense.
To provide students with speaking for fluency using the present perfect tense to share their life experiences
To provide practice writing for accuracy by designing questions using the present perfect.
To provide practice in scanning by reading for information.
Procedure (40-51 minutes)
* Warm up the lesson by personalising the lesson. Show Ss flashcards with Have you ever questions...get them to answer the questions, and ask for more detail.
* Tell the Ss that they will be doing a reading short reading. (Steve) * Ask Ss to read and answer the set questions. (Scan) Allow Ss to peer check their answers. Check answers WCFB.
* Write the following sentences on the board. - I went to Mexico 2 weeks ago. - I've been to about forty countries. *Put Ss in pairs / groups to discuss the following questions. * MEANING: CCQs- When did Steve go to Mexico? When did Steve visit 40 countries? * Ss should be able to answer the first question but not the second question. Show meaning of difference through timelines to make it clearer. (Experience vs time) Present Perfect for experiences in the past unknown time. Time isn't important. Past Simple is used when we know when the action took place. e.g: I've been to Mexico. When did you go there? I went there 4 years ago. *Elicit some examples from Ss. Have you ever met a famous person? Have you been skiing? Have you been on TV? Have you been to Ankara? * FORM: Show Form of the Present Perfect. (positive negative questions) Give Ss a handout verbs table to highlight V3. *PRONUNCIATION: Drill sentences to stress weak and strong forms and linking sounds. GIVE STUDENTS THE LIST OF VERBS
* Gap filling exercise on HO. * Get Ss to peer check. * Feedback answers as a whole class, check meaning. Ask CCQs.
* Ss to work individually and not show their papers to their peers. Students to write 3-5 questions about life experiences they would like to ask each other. Monitor Ss, do any necessary error correction.
* The questions that the Ss wrote in the previous stage will be put into a bag, and drawn. Students will be asked to answer these questions in small groups. Encourage them to find more information by using the Past Simple. Monitor Ss. *Ss to feedback the information they have learnt about their classmates. *Do error correction if necessary
* Bingo cards using the present perfect tense.