Lexis on Rooms and Things in a House
To provide review, clarification and practice of vocabulary on rooms and things in a flat in the context of renting a flat
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of renting a flat
Procedure (46-42 minutes)
1. A quick review on "there is/are" by telling the students one true and one false statements 2. Ask the Ss. to write 2 true & 2 false statements by using "there is/are" and swap papers with their partners and guess which one is T/F.
1. Look at p.41, pic. of Alex and his wife. What are they doing? What do you think? 2. Pre-teach "rent, flat, advert" 3. Tell the Ss. rent in Istanbul is very high. Ask them how much they pay for their rent. 4. Show advert on p.40 and tell them that Alex and his wife are looking at that advert. 5. Ss. observe the advert in detail and do exercise 1 in pairs.
1. Ask Ss. to match pictures with vocabulary in pairs. 2. Ss. check their answers altogether
3. Teach the unfamiliar/unknown words 4. Drill the new vocabulary in chunks
1. Put students into groups of three. Tell the students that each group wants to share a flat together. 2. The Ss. come up with their own criteria questions and write them up on WB 3. Hand out the copy of Flat questionnaire 4. They don't show each other their copies and ask questions to get information 5. Finally the Ss. decide which flat they want to rent and tell the class the reasons they've chosen it
1. Ss. get into pairs and they try to find the names of the pictures that are turned upside down. 2. If they can't find the correct match, they have to let the other group find a match.