Wedding Vocabulary Lesson
To provide clarification and practice of vocabulary related to weddings
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of weddings
Procedure (39-48 minutes)
- T introduces herself and ask any new students to introduce themselves to the class. - T presents short recordings of Mendelssohn's Wedding March and La Cumparsita and asks Ss where they can hear these songs. T tries to elicit the word "wedding". - If the word cannot be elicited then T gets married students to raise hands and asks whether they had a marriage ceremony or not. T tries to get the word wedding asking for a synonym for "marriage ceremony" - T writes the word on the board and gets Ss to think of five words related to the weddings in pair. - T gets WCFB and writes some of the words on the board.
- T presents three pictures and seven words related to weddings (bouquet, bride, church, groom, priest, ring, wedding cake) on the WB and wants Ss to look at them. - T explains the activity pointing to the pictures and the words on the WB. - T gives the handouts and asks Ss to find the seven items in the pictures in pairs. - T gets WCFB and checks the answers. - T checks pronunciation of certain words, T says the words and gets Ss to repeat them.
- T points out the definitions of the six words (ceremony, guests, honeymoon, reception, registry office, speech), which s/he put on the walls of the classroom before the class. - T gives each S a chart which includes the six words and asks Ss to move around the class to find and write down the definition of each word on the chart. - When Ss finish the activity T have them check their answers in pairs. - T gets WCFB and check answers (If time lets T checks the answers on a PowerPoint Presentation).
- T presents a gap-fill activity on the WB and explains the activity. - T gives Ss the handouts and asks them to work in pairs and fill in the gaps wth the words clarified in the previous stage. -T gets WCFB and checks answers.
- T explains Ss that they are going to practice the new vocabulary in a speaking activity. - T presents the questions on the WH and asks a few of them to Ss. - T gives Ss the questions an a handout and get them ask and answer questions in pairs or in small groups depending on the number of students in the class. - T asks a couple of Ss what they talked about and get some FB. - T presents a mind map on the WB for the new vocabulary learned to wrap up the lesson.