To provide fluency and accuracy in speaking through discussions in the context of a video segment from the musical Fiddler on the Roof.
To provide review and practice of first and second conditionals and expressions used for discussing suggestions and their positive and negative consequences in the context of learners' life and their country
Procedure (30-44 minutes)
- In an open discussion, ask SS if they have seen / watched the musical "Fiddler on the Roof."(If they say "yes," ask them to explain what it is about.) Nominate individual Ss to speak.
- Write the (5) words on the board to pre-teach by eliciting meanings through CCQs and mimes: (i.e. fiddler, fortune, idle, yard, fawn) - Drill on stress. - Give out synopsis/summary of the musical segment and give time to SS to read the synopsis (HO1). SS discuss in pairs what they understand from the synopsis. - Write down on the board the names: Reb Tevye and Golde (names of the characters they will hear in the video.) - Give out Task 1 to SS (HO1). Give them time to read through the task. - Tell SS they are going to watch a segment from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof." - Play the video. (Takes about 5 to 6 minutes)
- After watching the video, SS write their answers to Task 1, then check their answers in pairs. - FB with the Wc. (Answer Key to Task 1 will be posted on the board.)(HO2) - In the same pairs, SS discuss with partners answers to Task 2: (HO1) - T monitors and helps when needed. - FB-Wc.
- (Introduce word groups in a sentence): Write on the board a sample sentence from the previous grammar lesson. (i.e. If we open a terrace // we'll be able to serve a lot more people.) - Ask for a confident volunteer to say the sentence. - Ask SS what the double lines show and why we use groups of words when we speak. - Give out Handout-Task 3 (with sentences b-e from the previous lesson). (HO3) - Ask SS to say the sentences out loud to each other and to decide together where to sentences divide into groups. - Walk around to monitor and help when needed. - Tell SS, they will listen to the recording (Listening Text 2.32) to check their answers. -FB: SS check their answers with answer key.(HO4) -Give SS time to practice the sentences.
- Put SS in different pairs. -Tell SS they are going to think of suggestions to make their life and country better. Ideas may be realistic or unrealistic. - Give out Handout 5. - Tell SS to write their ideas as in the table, then discuss these with their partners.Elicit some conditional sentences. -Monitor and help when necessary. - FB with the whole class.