Social Networking Stories
To enable Ss to develop their retelling a story skills in the context of social networking stories.
To enable Ss to develop their reading skills for gist and detailed understanding in the context of social networking stories
To enable Ss to discuss their ideas in the context of social network stories to practise speaking skills.
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- Ss write the names of the social network websites they know on the board. - T asks what they are used for. - In groups of 3- 4, Ss discuss two questions shown on PPT. T sets up a timer and Ss have 2 minutes for each question to discuss. - T monitors and helps if they need. - They discuss the questions as a whole class.
- T hands the cut-out headlines out and ask Ss to check if there is any vocabulary they don't know. If so, she tries to elicit from other Ss or clarifies it. - In pairs, Ss try to guess the story behind the headlines. - In groups, they share their ideas. - They share their ideas with the whole class.
- Ss are divided into two groups as As and Bs. - Group A has the Story 1 and Group B has the Story 2. - T asks if there is any vocabulary that they don't know. T elicits from other students or clarifies it. - Ss read the stories individually and match the headlines with the stories in pairs. - All As and Bs compare their answers in their groups.
- Ss have 7 questions to answer about the story and T reminds that they are going to retell the stories to the other group members answering these questions. - Ss practise it in pairs. - T reorganises the pairs into one A and one B so that each pair have read different stories. - Ss retell the stories to each other and their partners try to guess the missing headline. - Ss read the story that they haven't read before.
- In different groups, Ss pick two questions to discuss about social networking. If they are finished earlier, they go on answering a new question.