Information Media - Reading Lesson
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about facts and fiction in the context of information media
To provide clarification of fact and information related vocabulary in the context of information media
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of information media
To enable Ss to develop their guessing the meaning from the context skill in the context of information media
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- T greets Ss and asks how they are. - T checks if she can remember their names. - T asks the date and weather and writes it on the board. - T shows a picture coding power point on the screen. - Ss need to break the code to find out today's topic.
- Ss make a questionnaire about information media and compare their answers in groups. - T asks what most of the Ss use to get information and if they trust it or not.
- T posts the paragpraphs on the wall seperately and gives Ss the subheadings. (Act. 2 on page 8) - In pairs, Ss go around the class, read the paragraphs and match the paragraphes with the subheadings. - Ss compare their answers with the neighbour pairs. - They check the answers as a whole class.
- T gives the whole text and Ss answer the questions in new pairs. (Act. 3 on page 8) - They compare their answers with the neighbours. - T sticks the answers on the wall, they go and check it.
- T focuses on how to guess meaning from the context. - In pairs, Ss find the words and expressions in the article. (Act 4. on page 8) - They compare their answers with the neighbours. - They check it as a whole class. - T focuses on pronunciation through modelling and drilling.
- In pairs, Ss complete the questions with the words they have covered in ex. 4 (act. 5 on page 9) - They check answers with the other pairs. - 2- 3 Ss come to the board to write the answers. - T brings a plastic bag to the class and puts these questions in it. - Each group picks two cards- two different questions to answer and talk about it. - They go through the questions all together.