A1 (Elementary) level
To provide clarification, review and practice on verb collocations in the context of housework through listening and speaking.
To provide fluency and accuracy through controlled and semi-controlled written and speaking activities.
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- Show 6 visuals (HO1) one after another to the whole class. - Elicit correct collocation to describe each visual. - Ask SS to stand and form a circle. - T- tells SS the visuals will be passed to each of them in the circle. SS say the correct collocation each time a visual passes their hand. T- hands out visuals one after another quickly until all SS are describing their individual visuals in a chorus. - After 2 to 3 rounds of visual-passing, SS take seats. - T - posts visuals on the board, nominates SS to come to the board and write the collocation under each visual. - In FB, model the phrases. SS listen and repeat.
- In pairs, SS discuss answers to the questions: "Which activities on the board do you do at home?" "Which activities don't you do at home?" - Monitor. - FB, SS to whole class.
- Tell SS they are going to listen to a part of a radio phone-in program. - Ask SS to look at the headline (written on the board) and say what today's show is about. - (Elicit answer: the results of a newspaper survey on how most British men don't do any housework.) - Give out HO2. - Tell SS they are going to tick the phrases they hear. - Play the recording. - Whole class FB.
- T- tells SS to flip the HO2 and look at task B. - T- tells SS "I will play the recording again. You listen and tick who does the activity." - To check understanding, ask SS: " Are you going to write words in the boxes? (No) "What are you going to do?" (Put a tick under the name of the person who does the activity.") - T - plays the recording. - FB.
- Put SS in pairs, different partners this time. - T- tells SS they will put the housework in order from best to worst jobs They may add more activities they know. They then discuss their answers with partner. - Monitor and help when needed. - Feedback with the whole class.
- Divide class into two groups A&B, (possibly women vs gentlemen). - Each group prepares a list of 4 housework activities. They can add their own ideas to the collocations they have learnt in class. - Tell them to pick out a representative to mime an activity in front of the class. The other group guesses. - Groups take turns to mime an activity. - The group with the most number of correct guesses wins.