To provide reading text to students to scan for specific information.
To provide vocabulary related to hotels by the river or under the sea
Procedure (37-50 minutes)
* tell students that we are going to read about hotels today * ask students to form 4 groups * give students HOs and tell them to discuss the questions * ask students to share interesting answers with the class
* students look at the list of words in Ex. 1b * write the words on WB and show the part of speech one by one * use gesture, picture, definitions, and examples to help with the meaning * use CCQs to check students understanding * show the word stress and help with the pronunciation * drill chorally and individually
* fold texts so students look at the photos of the two hotels only * ask students to read only the first paragraph * students try to decide which words/ phrases belong to which text * then students work in pairs to decide * check with the whole class
* divide sts into A an B * form 4 groups of 2 As and 2 Bs * A sts read about one hotel and B sts read about the other hotel. * set a time limit to read the texts and answer the questions
* put one student from A to on from B *sts take turns to ask and answer questions in EX. 3 * check with the whole class * then same pair need to answer questions in Ex. 5 a) * sts read and listen to both texts about two hotels * check with the whole class.
* write on WB " Which hotel is better for a holiday and why? *ask sts now to stand up * Sts walk around class and mingle to talk to other student about their preference and give reasons