A day off- Vocabulary Lesson
Elementary (A2) level
To provide clarification and practice of months of the year in the context of special holidays
To enable Ss to develop their speaking skills for specific information in the context of speacial days
To enable Ss to develop their understanding of word strees and practise it in the context of special days
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- T writes warm "day off" on the board and check if they know the meaning eliciting from the students. - T talks about her day-offs and write two questions on the board. "When is your day off?" and "What do you do on your day off?" - In pairs, Ss answer the questions and write 4 things ( 2 for each) that they do in 2 mins. - In groups of 6 or as a whole class ( depending on the number of the ss) Ss find the common things the whole group/ class do on their day off in 3 mins.
- In pairs, Ss match the dates with the special days in Turkey in 3 minutes. - Ss compare their answers with the whole class in 2 minutes. - Ss do the matching with the flashcards on the board.
- T elicits the months of the year from the Ss showing on the board. - T writes some gramatically right and wrong sentences on the board, ask Ss to correct, reminds that preposition "in" is used with the months. And they are written in capitals. - T models and Ss drill. - T writes "April" on the board as an example and shows the word stress with stress squares. - T models and Ss drill. - T shows how to show word stress with the "rubber band technique" and Ss practice the chart on page 44. - Ss write the months on the chart accordingly in pairs in 2 minutes. - Ss listen to the recording to check their answers. - Ss practise the pronunciation of the months in turns.
- Ss match the name of the special holidays around the world with the pictures in pairs. - T checks if they know these days asking questions. "Do we have that day in Turkey?" "Do people work on that day?" etc.
- Ss listen to the recording and find out what months these special days are in. - Ss check their answers with their partners in 1 minute. - They check anwers as a whole class.
- Ss answer the T/F questions in pairs in 2 minutes. - They listen to the text again and check it as a whole class.