Reading lesson- Accommodation for language students
To enable Ss to develop their reading skills for detailed understanding in the context of reading profiles of language students who are looking for an accommodation in Cambridge and newspaper accommodation advertisements.
To enable students to develop their speaking skills in the context of finding an appropriate accommodation for themselves.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- T shows a photo of his brother and some pictures of Germany in PPT. - T asks Ss to guess who he is and which country it is in pairs. - In pairs, Ss try to guess the relationship between his brother and Germany. - Ss share their ideas with the whole class and then T tells that his brother is going to Germany next semester as an Erasmus student and he is looking for an accommodation.
- In PPT, T shows his brother's profile including some information about him and the accommodation he will stay. - In pairs, Ss read the text and fill in the chart. - As a whole class, they discuss the reasons to their answers. - T elicits some topic related words from the Ss and clarifies the new ones. - T clarifies "accommodation, share, bill, foreign, pcm, all inclusive, childcare, house-sit, bedsit." - In pairs, Ss match the pictures with the words and definitions. - As a whole class, they check the answers. - T models the pronunciation and Ss drill.
- T cuts the text into parts ( one advertisement on one page), puts them on the walls and gives Ss a handout including a chart. - In pairs, Ss go around the class, read the advertisements and fill in the chart accordingly. - T draws the chart on the board, elicits answers from Ss and all Ss check their answers.
- T hands the full text out and some students' profiles, Ss match the student with the suitable accommodation from the advertisement in pairs. - T encourages Ss to say that " We think accommodation -A- is good for -Christophe- because ......." writing the sentence on the board. - T reminds that there are no right or wrong answer fro this activity and Ss can share their ideas with the reasons and others say if they agree or not.
- Ss look at the advertisements again and choose the best accommodation for themselves with the reasons. - Ss share their ideas with their partners and partners share their ideas with the whole class. - As a whole class, they choose the most preffered one in the class.