Weekend city break lesson TP5a (Marieke Steuben)
Students will practice reading (for gist and for detail) in the context of holiday brochures for a short city break.
To provide review and practice of vocabulary relating to places in a city.
To provide practice speaking for accuracy in the context of describing places in their own city.
Procedure (32-44 minutes)
1. Show a map of Istanbul (Slide 1) Show pictures of places in Istanbul such as a bridge, castle, hotel, museum, airport, etc. Ask: Where is this? Have you been there? 2. Elicit English words for some places to lead in to vocabulary
1. Show Slide 2 - signs from ex. 1. Ask for the English word. What is this? Repeat and drill those that they know. 2. Show HO - matching words to signs. Do the first one as an example with WC. Ask them to complete HO by themselves. 3. Show Slide 3 - signs with space to write next to them. Give pens to early finishers and ask them to write on WB. 4. Check answers as WC and drill words again.
1. Do an example sentence before instructions. "The Bosphorus Bridge is very famous." 2. Ask sts to work in pairs. Make sentences about your city. Use these words. You can speak or write.
1. Show slide 4 - top of reading only. Where are these cities? What do you know about them? Have you been there? 2. Show HO of reading. Show slips with headings and Slide 5 - text highlighting blanks. Give HO. Do an example. "Where to stay" - ask WC to tell me where to put this one. Now in pairs, do the rest. 3. Give slips to pairs and ask them to come to WB to place them in the right place.
1. Show HO with questions (reading #3). Example on WB: 1. There are beaches - B or P? 2. Groups A, B, and C move around the room. Move chairs into circles. 3. One HO to each group. You complete the rest. 4. Check answers with WC. 1.B 2.P 3.B 4.B 5.P 6.P 7.P