TP 1 Fact or Fiction
B1+ (Intermediate) level
To give Ss practice in reading for gist, detail and deducing meaning from context, in the context of whether you can believe what you read.
To introduce/review and practice vocabulary to talk about facts and information.
Procedure (37-49 minutes)
1. Organise students into pairs. 2. Present the title of the article. 3. Ask students to give examples of where they get their information. 4. Elicit answers from students and write these on the board. 5. Ask 'Which ones do you tend to trust?'
1. Explain that they will be given some questions to answer with their partner. 2. Hand out the question sheet. 3. Ss discuss questions 4. Monitor students unobstrusively. 5. Students report to the class what they talked about.
1. Hand out the article and give Ss 1 minutes to read. 2. Highlight the numbers on the side of the paragraphs in the text. Do the first one as a class eliciting the answer . 3. Ss work individually to match the questions they answered with the paragraph numbers. 4. Monitor unobstursively. 5. Ss do a peercheck 6. Feedback: Elicit answers from the students and deal with any problems they may have.
1. Ss read text again and individually answer the questions on worksheet 1. 2. Monitor unobstrusively. 3. In pairs, Ss check their answers with their peers. 4. Elicit answers from Ss and discuss any issues they may have. 5. Check for understanding
1. Hand out worksheet 2. 2. Ss find words from the text to match the meanings in Activity 4, Worksheet 2. 3 Show students worksheet 2 and elicit the answer to the first question as an example. 4. Ss complete the task with their partner. 6.Monitor unobstrusively as students work in pairs. 7. Feedback: Check that Ss understand the meaning of the vocabulary. 5. Using the vocabulary from the above activity, Ss individually complete the gap-fill. 6.Ss check their answers with peers . 7. Monitor 8. Feedback: Ss check their answers against the completed gap-fill on the board.
1. Ss mingle to ask the gap-fill questions to as many people as possible. 2. Monitor unobstrusively make notes on errors 3. General feedback to find out what students talkded about. 3. If there is time do some delayed error correction on the w/b from errors noted.