Functional Language- Describing People TP 2
Elementary (A2) level
To provide clarification and practice of language used for describing people
To enable Ss to practise describing people through listening and speaking
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T shows the title of the text to Ss and in pairs Ss try to guess what it is about. ("Bradgelina" - Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.) - T ask some questions about the couple such as "Do you like them?, Do you like their movies? and How do they look like? Are they pretty? and etc.
- T hands the text out. - T checks if there is any vocabulary they don't know in the text. If so, she clarifies it. - In pairs, Ss read the text and fill in the blanks with "Brad" or "Angelina" accordingly. - T checks the answers as a whole class.
- T writes two example sentences from the text on the board. "He's handsome." and "He has green eyes". - T clarifies meaning of the functional language. - T highlights the differences between the use of "is" and "has" there. (He's + adjective and He has + noun) - T elicits some other example sentences from the students and write them on the board. - T asks what the questions are to ask to describe people and elicits some examples from the Ss. "What does he/ she look like?" "What do you look like?" "How old are you?" "How tall is he?" "What colour eyes/ hair does he / she have?" etc. - T writes the example questions and possible answers on the board. - T models the falling down intonation while asking wh questions and Ss drill.
- In pairs, Ss do the listening activity 1.45 on page 29 and make sentences with She's or She has. - T monitors and checks it as a whole class if necessary. - In pairs, Ss do the Activity 2 on page 29. They correct the mistakes in the sentences. - They check the answers as a whole class.
- Ss do "Find your double" activity. T hands out the cards and explains that each students has a partner with the same description as that on their card. They go around the class and ask friends questions "what do you look like?" - I am tall and thin. "What colour hair do you have?" - I have brown hair. and they try to find their partners. When they do, they may sit down.
- Ss do the speaking activity one on page 29. (related photocopiable act. pages: 132, 135) - T models the activity using two different pictures of Tarkan. - T nominates Ss as As and Bs. Each group has the pictures of famous people but two of them are the same picture of the same people and two of them are different pictures of the same people. In pairs, they talk about the poeple and try to find out which pictures are the same and which pictures are different. - As a whole class, they check answers.