Vocabulary - Shopping
to provide clarification of the key vocabulary in the context of shopping. I am going to teach collocations and compound nouns about the topic and I will give students tasks so that they will reinforce the meanings of them.
to practice the pronunciation of vocabulary (especially collocations) through listening and to practice them in their conversations through speaking. This will instill them with confidence and they will practice the tasks related with fluency.
Procedure (42-57 minutes)
- T shows a picture - T asks questions about it to get into the subject of shopping. (What do you see in this picture? What do you think about this picture? What is it about? How does the woman feel? She is tired of shopping.Do you go shopping alone or with your mother/ friends? etc.)
-T has 11 cards - T asks questions about the words written on the cards and when Ss know the answer, T sticks them on the left side of the board. -T tries to elicit some of the words verbally with examples and some of them by drawing and realia. - T starts with asking bookshop (Asks if they know D&R, What do we call this place? What do they sell? What do we buy?), motorway (Draw on the board a wide road, give examples: İstanbul E5 motorway, Çeşme motorway) Sunglasses (Show realia), Living room (draw on the board), bus stop ( a place where busses stop, draw bus stop), handbag (realia), railway station (Where does the trains come and go? they stop there.) Car park (Where do we park our cars?), Traffic lights (draw it, they are green, red and yellow), petrol station (eg: Shell, where do we buy gas for our cars?) -T drills them while teaching
-T gives matching HO - In this contolled practise Ss are supposed to match the pictures with the relevant vocabulary - Instead of just matching them, I wanted them to write the words in order to show them which words are written as one word and which are written as two seperate words. - Ss write the words under the pictures. -Ss peer check - T shows the pictures one by one and expects Ss to say the words aloud. - WCFB .
-T gives handouts and instructions (fold the paper, only the first exercise will be done) - Ss listen twice and do the gap-fill -Ss peer check - FB may not be provided because I will monitor during the peer checking process. (If there are mistakes, I will give WCFB).
- T gives instruction - Ss write a dialogue with a partner including some noun+noun combinations they learned. (bookstore, motorway, motorbike, living room, bus stop, handbag, car park... Ss are expected to write simple sentences such as;. -Where is my book? - In the living room. -Where is the bus stop? - Next to the traffic lights etc.) - If they are willing to act them out, I will let them do it. If they don't I will correct their mistakes while monitoring and go on the other task.
- T shows Ss the PPT. -T tells Ss to unfold their papers and do the second exercises. - Ss match the collocations - Ss peer check - T monitors (if they're correct goes on, if not FB)
- T gives HO - Ss do the gap-fill - Ss listen and check for verb + noun collocations in listening. - Ss peer check - T monitors - T provides FB if necessary
-T tells students to read the ask and answer task aloud. - Ss get a chance to practice pronunciation of the vocabulary - Ss practice conversations in pairs. - Then, T asks students to write their own sentences just like the activity they practiced and act them out with their pairs. - T monitors them and if time allows, T provides a delayed FB.
- T asks students to write their own sentences and act them out with their pairs. - T monitors them and if time allows, T provides a delayed FB.