Upper Intermediate level
To provide students practice in using the Passive Voice
To provide students practise in using the Passive Voice through reading, writing and speaking
Procedure (33-49 minutes)
* Ask if Ss know any other Film Industries from around the world other than Hollywood. * Once 'Bollywood' is elicited, ask Ss for more information about Bollywood.
* Tell the Ss that they will be doing a reading exercise on Bollywood. * Pre-check the following vocabulary: spectacular / produce / force / big-budget. Drill pronunciation if necessary * Give instructions to Ss: "Read the text, and decide if the verb should be active or the passive voice." Use ICQ to check instructions. * Get Ss in pairs, and check their answers. * Check answers through WCFB
* Tell the Ss that they will be doing a fun-quiz later. * Prepare Ss for the quiz by eliciting the question form of the Passive Voice. * Use modal sentence: -The Altinportakal festival has been held since 1963.(highlight the position of the subject/agent/ verb) Possible answers: Since when has the Altinportakal Film Festival been held? Which Film Festival has been held since 1963? * CCQ: 1) If we want to form the question about when the film festival was held, which question would we use? 2) If we want to form a question on which film festival, which question would we use? * Further check: Turkan Soray was dismissed by many producers in her early career. (Which actress was dismissed by many producers in her early career?)
* Change pairs. (If 3 students give them 3 cards to work individually) * Tell the students that they will be playing a game called the Oscars Quiz. * Give Instructions: " You are going to host an Oscars quiz, but there are no questions. You have to write 4 questions for the answers on the cards" Check using ICQ. * Ss to write the questions based on the answers. * Once finished, check their answers for each group.
* Ask Ss to come to the board (in teams) * Put group names on the board. * Give instructions: "You will now test your friends. Ask them the full question, and give them the possible 3 answers."
Taboo: Speaking game where Ss will have to describe as many words as they can in relation to the Cinema & Film related words.