Children vs. Technology
Upper Intermediate level
To help students practice scanning and reading for specific information in the specific information in the context of an article on the effects of technology on childhood.
To introduce students to, and give them practice using, linkers in the context of a text on children and technology.
Procedure (36-50 minutes)
1. Put up some pictures from old outdoor games and ask the students whether they recognize any of them. 2. Start a discussion on comparing the new generation's games and the older ones, which will lead us directly into the subject.
1. In pairs the students discuss the statements about children's free time activities that I will hand out. 2. Pre-teach blocking vocabulary: "prosperity, devote, retreat"
1. Tell the students to take a look at the text individually via scanning technique for 3 minutes to find out the meanings of the numbers that I will give. 2. The students check the answers in pairs and we discuss as whole class.
1. Students complete the blanks individually using the given words . To complete this exercise they might go back to the text. 2. Check the answers as WC.
1. In pairs, they summarize the text by matching the sentences that are connected to each other with Linkers. 2. We check the answers as WC. 3. Classify each linker on WB with students' help
1. Hand the activities out and let the students work in pairs 2. Check the answers as whole class