Teaching Practice 6
To provide review and practice of holiday activities
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of holiday activities
Procedure (32-38 minutes)
- In order to introduce and get the students interested in the topic of the lesson, I'll do the "hanging man" game by eliciting each letter of the lesson's title "Holidays". - In pairs, I'll ask the students to tell each other about their free time activities, and to name the activities they did last week. - To get students to focus on the context of the lesson and check if they can remember the word "tourist" and try to elicit it from them. - I'll give an examples of three places tourists visit in my country and ask the students to do the same by listing three places tourists go to in Istabul/hometowns. -Then, the students share their answer with the rest of the class in a WC activity.
- I give the students a handout with some Holiday activities and ask them to tick the the words/phrases they know. -Then they're asked to do an activity where they match pictures with the activities from the box. (SB p138). - Students check in pairs then. Then, they get a HC feedback on the board.
- I give a WC feedbak on the previous activity, dealing with meaning and pronuncation of those activities. - I'll highight the American English phrase " go on vacation" -I'll point the different phrases that follow the verb "go". For example: go for...., go on,....go to, and go...-ing by drawing a four colunm table with these headings. Then ask the students to write down the phrases they know that can go in each colunm. ( go dancing, go for a drink, go to the cinema,...) then chech with class for the new vocabulary. - (I'll refer the stress shown on the phrases in the activity).
- Students are asked to do the activity (3p62) in pairs where they're supposed to to make questions. - I'll provide the students with an answer key sheet to check their answers.
- In pairs,the students are asked to talk about their last holiday. Taking turns asking and answering the questions. -I'll encourage the students to use natural short answers paying attention the used tense ( past simple). - Whie the students are working, I'll monitor and correct mistakes. - Early finishers, may tell the class about their last Holiday.