Teaching Practice 3
A1 (Beginner) level
to provide a writing practice of a postcard
To provide Students the pronunciation of the new words, to provide the practicing of reading a holiday postcard
Procedure (37-43 minutes)
- I will show Ss an envelope and tell them “I found it today and I don’t know who posted it” . Then I will take the postcard out and elicit the word “postcard” and I will tell them “My sister posted it to me, she is on holiday in London.” - Before this lesson, they have learned some of the words so I will just drill them and elicit new words. I will put the pictures on the board and let them work in pairs and match the pictures with the words. Then, they will come to the board and stick the words on the pictures. Feedback: ask everyone if they agree with the answers and check Ss if they have really understood some of the words (e.g. on holiday, expensive, cheap) then repeat for the pronunciation.
- ICQs: Are you going to read alone? Yes! - I will give Ss the postcards to read in 1 minute. Feedback: Check if students have understood what they read. “Are Sandra and John on holiday? And Did they write the postcard to Fiona?” - ICQs: Are you going to open it? No! Are you going to answer the questions from the postcard? Yes! - Then, I will give them the questions’ papers about the reading and they will answer the questions in 2 minutes. Feedback: Peer-checking and give the answer key.
- I will put sentences from the reading on the board and ask them if the sentences are positive or negative. Then I will ask if but / and has a positive or negative meaning.
- ICQs: Are you going to write the sentences again? Are you going to use and/but? - I will give Ss hand outs to write the sentences again with using and/but. - Feedback: peer-checking then give the answer key. - Then I will give them a postcard to fill the gaps with and/but to help them see how to use but/ and while they are writing a postcard. (Feedback: Peer-checking and if necessary do error correction on the board).
- ICQs: Are you going to write alone or together? Alone! How much time do you have? 5 mins Are you going to write it to your father? No! to your friend in this class. - I will give Ss postcards and the phrases and let them to write a postcard. “You’re on holiday and you will write a postcard to your friend in this class.” I will monitor and give immediate help them when needed - Feedback: Do a demo! They will post (give) it to their friends! And let them to read 1min. Then they will stick them on the wall and everyone should read all of them and choose the best one.
They will write another postcard to a family member (Feedback: peer-checking)