To review and practise the present simple negative in the context of freetime activities.
To give students practice in listening for specific information.
Procedure (46-62 minutes)
- Start by showing some pictures of free time activities. - Give an example: - I play the guitar. - I don't watch television. - Ask the students to make up their own positive and negative sentences.
- Write on the board the exercise number 1a, and the examples: don't like/ doesn't like/ don't go/ desn't like/ doesn't make/ don't read/ don't watch. - I bad news. -My dad my music. - Give the students the first hand out. - Get the students, in pairs, to do EX 1 a. - Monitor the students. - Write on top of the examples: I, you, we, they. And he, she, it. - Ask the students to correct themselves. - ask them if they can see a pattern and get them to give you the rule.
- Write the sentence: 2a My daughter don't/ doesn't like chocolate. -Ask the student for the correct answer and circle it. -Get the students in pairs and ask to do exercice 2a. - Monitor - Check the answers, having the students to correct themselves.
- Write on the board: - My friend Zeynep doesn't speak English. -My friends Tom and Jerry don't live in the same country. -I don't play tennis. -Ask the students to write, in pair groups, five sentences about themselves and people they know using DON'T and DOESN'T. - Monitor. -Ask for some sentences from the students, and if wrong get students to find the correct way.
- Write Moira and Sam on the board. - We're going to listen to a recording of Moira and Sam, each will tell us about free time activities they like and don't like. Listen carefully. - Play the recording nbr 33
- Chest the handout. - Ask the learners to take a pen, listen to Moira and Sam , and tick the things they do in EX 3a. - Play the audio CD 1 track 33 - If any problem, replay the audio, and pause after each activity to give them time. - Ask the learners what they have ticked for Moira. - Get them to correct themselves. - Repeat with Sam
- Draw on the board the 4 main entries of the handout: Free time activities Name Yes No Watch TV in the evening Go to the restaurant at the week-end - Ask one student ; - Do you watch TV in the evening? Then fill in his name and answer, and repeat with another student. - Chest the handout and tell them : - Now, that's your turn to ask 10 people and fill in the survey - Give the handout - Monitor - If no more time for part 2 just thank every one for their interest and participation.
- Use the previous example on the board and use it in a negative sentence: - Erdal watch TV in the evening. - Suat go to the restaurant at the week-end - Ask them to work in pairs and do the same thing with their surveys. - Monitor -Ask some of the phrases and get the student to correct themselves