Grammar lesson 2
To provide clarification and practice of wishes and hopes in the context of a conversation with a friend.
To provide gist listening practice using a text about complaining and asking for a favour in the context of talking to a parent.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation between friends in the context of talking about their wishes and hopes.
Procedure (41-20 minutes)
1. Show a picture of a magic lamp and elicit what it is and what the topic of the lesson is. (Wishes) 2. Ask students what was the last thing they wished for. OCF.
1. Tell the students that they will listen to Briona and her dad talking. They have to answer: - What does Briony want? Why? (Some money (£250) because she owes her flatmate £100.) - Did they decide quickly? (No, she doesn’t. She gets £150.) 2. The students listen to the audio once. OCF. Ask them if they remember any expressions for making wishes.
1. Tell the students that we will now focus on studying some of the expressions for making wishes. 2. Explain that they will work together in groups for 5 minutes to answer 5 questions. 1. I wish you'd stop talking about that accident. 2. If only I knew where she was. What does Briony want? 1. To stop talking about the accident. 2. To know where her mum is. Does she think it will happen? - No Is she happy? - No These sentences talk about: a) imaginary situations in the present or the future. (x) b) things that happened in the past. Which verb form follows 'I wish...'/'If only…' in each sentence? 1. would + infinitive 2. past simple Which sentence shows impatience? - I wish you would stop… Can we exchange 'I wish' and 'If only'? - Yes! 3. I hope she comes home. Choose the best meaning: a) I don’t think she will do this. b) I think she might do this. (x) Which verb form comes after I hope? • present simple 4. It's about time you learned how to cook. Am I happy about the situation right now? (No) We use It's (about) time + subject + _______________ (v. past simple) to say that we are frustrated or annoyed that something - has happened. - hasn't happened yet. (x) * Choose the best pronunciation patterns. (Stress and Linking sounds) Is the intonation pattern...? - falling-rising ↘↗ - rising-falling ↗↘ (x) 4. Upload the exercise and send the students to BORs. 5. OCF. Show answers and clarify what is necessary. Drill.
0. Tell the students they will now practice using the expressions. 1. Show them 7 sentences with gaps. Tell them to use the verbs in brackets to complete them. Give the students 4 minutes of individual work. Check instructions. " 1. I wish we ___________ (have) a better drummer. 2. I hope you ___________ (pay) me back soon. 3. It's time you ___________ (think) about the future. 4. I wish someone from the music business ____________ (come) and listen to us. 5. If only we ___________ (can) afford some time in a recording studio. 6. It's time you ___________ (find) a cheaper place to live. 7. I wish I _____________ (not have to) work at the restaurant." 2. Share the jamboard with the gap-fill activity and send them to BORs to check their answers for 2 minutes. 3. The students return to the main room. OCF. Show answers and clarify anything the students don't understand.
Let’s talk about our wishes! 1. Tell the students to write down 3 things that annoy them or hope for. Give them 1 minute. 2. Tell the students that they will go to BORs and express 3 wishes and to use the expressions from the previous exercises. Partners should ask follow up questions. 4. Check instructions, share PDF file where they can find the activity, and send the students to BORs to work in pairs for 6 minutes. Monitor closely and note down some of the students' mistakes. 5. Students return to the main room. OCF: - Do you get annoyed by the same things?
1. Show students some of the sentences with mistakes and words that were mispronounced noted down during the monitoring phase. 2. Elicit the correct syntax/lexis and pronunciation. Students correct their own mistakes. 3. Drill.