Unreal Conditionals Lesson
Upper Intermediate level
To introduce students to, and give them practice using unreal conditionals
To give students the opportunity to practice speaking in the context of a discussion about unreal conditions
Procedure (35-49 minutes)
1. Introduce two colleagues named Monica and Nelson, and ask students' guesses about their conversation. 2. Pre-teach them some of the vocabulary they might need such as, charity, antique, pocket money.
1. Before listening to the track ask the students to have a listen to the dialogue to find out the answers of some questions I will give. 2. The students will listen to a dialogue between two colleagues, where they will be exposed to different forms(affirmative, negative, question) of unreal conditional clauses in a natural flow. 3. After the listening session, elicit answers from the students.
1. Reveal the form of unreal conditionals .
1. Check concept and clarify the meaning of unreal conditions. 2. Do some choral exercises to complete two seperate clauses of conditionals.
1. Let students do Close Up 1 individually and check their answers in pairs.
1. In Close Up 2 and 3, let students work in pairs and discover the rules of conditionals by themselves as much as they can. 2. Support them when needed.
1. Pre-teach vocabulary that will appear on Close Up 4 (e.g. government, palace, law, tax, ban, appoint, minister) 2. Let the students free practice Close Up 4 and 5. 3. Hand the New Vocabulary Sheet out for them to review at home.