Intermediate Adults level
To provide clarification and practice of the (second conditional if) in the context of having a million dollars.
To provide specific information listening practice using a song about having a million dollars to practice the second conditional if.
Procedure (35-46 minutes)
- T starts the lesson by telling ss what she would do if she had a million dollars. - T asks ss to discuss the same question in pairs. - ss discuss the question together. - T monitors ss. - T asks 3 or 4 ss to talk about their partners for O/C feedback.
- T holds HO1 and asks ss to firstly guess the missing lyrics then self-correct themselves by the song. - T plays the song of "If I had a Million Dollars" - ss complete the missing lyrics. - T asks ss to check their answers in pairs. - T shows the ss the answer on the ppt. *The video of the song shows pictures for the missing lyrics in case of difficult vocabulary to avoid any lack of understanding*
- T holds HO2 and asks ss to finish the guided discovery task. - ss finish the task and T monitors. - T asks ss to check their answers with their pairs. - T clarifies meaning, form, and pronunciation for the target language. - T draws a timeline, asks CCQs, discuss intonation, models and drills with ss the target language.
- T holds HO3 and asks ss to firstly finish the sentence expansion. - After finishing the sentence expansion, T asks ss to check their answers in pairs. - ss check their answers in pairs. - T shows the answer key on board. - T asks ss to mingle around and ask different people the questions. *T encourage ss to start their answers with I would..* - T monitors ss very accurately. - T asks few ss about the answers they got for O/C feedback.
- T divides ss into different groups. - T gives each group few cards. - T demo with ss the guessing activity, asks ICQs, and writes useful structures on board to help ss produce correct target language. - ss finish the guessing speaking activity. - T monitors ss and their language for a delayed feedback.
- T asks ss about the winner in each group and what cards he/she has for content feedback. - T writes on board few correct/incorrect sentences (from the language of the students) and asks ss to guess which of them is correct/incorrect and why. - ss guess in pairs the answers. - T starts eliciting the answers and highlight on board the mistakes with different colors for language feedback and error correction.