Grammar: Frequency Adverbs
To introduce and provide practice of adverbs of frequency in the context of a questionnaire: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Enable students to use the target language effectively.
To enable students to use the target language in an effective way (writing speaking).
Procedure (36-46 minutes)
- T. establishes rapport with Ss before starting class. - T. shows an image of different activities mentioned in the questionnaire: Are you an early bird or a night owl? and asks students the frequency they do those activities. - Ss. answer as a whole class. - As students answer, frequency adverbs are written and context and future expressions to be used are established from the beginning.
- T. explains students that they will complete (as n open class) a cline by placing adverbs of frequency in the correct place. (to check basic concepts). - T. shows image and complete with students. (2 min) - T. explains students they will complete a Questionnaire named: Are you an early bird or a night owl? (Individually). (2 min) - T makes a demo and shares link. - Ss will have access to the scale and will check their score for final results. T helps as needed. (2 min) - Ss will share their findings as an open class.
- T. explains that in pairs, Ss will read 6 sentences in Google Forms containing the target language and they will answer the meaning of the highlighted words. - T. gives a demo and shares link. (PW-BORs-2 min) - Back to main session, Ss share their answers as a whole class. - T. asks meaning concept questions and gives feedback as needed. -T. explains students they will work on the next section of the same link, they will complete the rules of the target language (form). (PW-BORs-3 min) - Same link, next section. - Back to main session, Ss share their answers as an open class and T. gives feedback as needed. - T. explains that now Ss will see a Microsoft PPT Slide with some sentences and works on pronunciation (stress-linking sounds). Drill as needed. - T .shows the slide and work as a whole class (3 minutes).
- T. explains to students that they will work individually to put the adverbs of frequency in the correct order in a group of sentences. (IW-3 min). - T. gives a demo and shares link. - T. corrects answers as an open class and gives feedback as needed.
- T. explains students that they will work on a Google form on sentences containing adverbs of frequency. They have to put a frequency adverb in the sentences and make them true for them. - T. gives a demo and shares link. (IW-10-12 min) - Ss. share their answers as an open class. - T. monitors to assist if needed.
- While Ss. share their answers, T. writes down sentences with errors related to the target language. - T. shares screen. - T. asks Ss. if they can identify the problems in the sentences and elicit answers from the class self-correction, peer-correction, and teacher-correction).