TP8 - Holidays
Beginner A1 level
To provide clarification and practice of past simple irregular verb forms in the context of holidays.
To provide writing practice of sentences using past simple irregular verb forms in the context of holidays.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice using past simple irregular verbs in the context of holidays.
Procedure (43-53 minutes)
1. Teacher shows the class some of her holiday photos of Paris. 2. T tells class that she went to Paris on holiday last year and writes HOLIDAY on WB. 3. T asks where the sts go on holiday and writes sts' holiday destinations on the board.
1. T puts the sts into pairs. 2. T gives each pair a text and a set of pictures. 3. Sts put the pictures in order according to the text. 4. T asks students for FB and puts enlarged pictures in order on the board.
1. T gives students a handout. 2. T asks students to underline the verbs in the text individually then check with a partner. T does first one with the sts. During this time T writes the bare infinitives of the verbs from the text on the board. 3. T asks sts to try and match the bare infinitives to the verbs in the text and writes them on the WB.
1. T asks sts which verbs are past simple regular "-ed". stayed and visited. 2. T tells sts that all the other verbs in the text are past simple irregular. 3. T writes some sentences on the WB - I went to France on holiday last year. CCQ: Am I in France now? No. When did I go to France? Last year. What year did I go to France? 2013. - I took photographs of the Eiffel Tower. CCQ: Am I taking photographs of the Eiffel tower now? No. When did I take photographs in France? Last year. 4. T drills pronunciation of the past verb irregular forms alone and in short sentences. e.g. ate - I ate a crepe.
1. T shows sts exercise on handout and gives sts an example. 2. Sts make 5 sentences using the past simple irregular forms they just learnt about. 3. T asks sts to do a peer check of sentences. 4. T asks sts for some FB. 5. T gives error correction if necessary.
1. T gives groups of 3 a set of cards each (the bare infinitives of the verbs studied) 2. T models how to play the game. 3. In groups of 3, sts play the game where they pick up a card and make/say a sentence using the past simple irregular form of the verb. 4. T monitors and error corrects if necessary.
1. T tells sts to tell their partners about one of their holidays using the TL. 2. T models the activity with a student. 3. Sts mingle, changing partners and practising more. 4. T asks for FB about their holidays.