Productive skills: Speaking
To introduce and provide practice of speaking for fluency in the context of talking about when you were 13.
• To help Ss. develop accuracy in the use of was/were and expressions when they were 13.
Procedure (30-37 minutes)
Show a picture of teenagers (about 13) celebrating a birthday and ask students: What do you see? (individual work and share with the class). Ask Ss if they remember when they were 13?. Pair work, breakout rooms (1-2 min). Back to main session share answers with the whole class.
- T. tells Ss. that they will listen to Jason ask his grandfather Albert, about his 13 birthday party. (T. plays the audio). - Students listen and answers this questions: 1- Where was he? (Tha grandfather) 2- Why was his birthday a special day?. (Individual work-2 min). - Ss. will compare their answers in pairs. (PW-BORs-2min). - Back to main session students share their answers with the whole class. - Teacher shows audio script and Ss check their answers. FB if necessary.
- T. asks Ss to complete iin pairs a Google form with the positive and negative form of the verb to be in past (was, were, wasn't, weren't) (PW-BORs-2 min). - T. shares link. - Back to main sessions students share their answers with the whole class and T. shows correct answers and gives FB as needed. (2 min) - T. tells Ss they will complete in pairs, sentences with was/were (Google form). (IW-2 min) - T. shares link. - Back to main session, Ss share their answers with the whole class and T. shows correct answers and gives FB as needed. (2 min) - T. tells students they will listen to some sentences sentences and will decide where the stress is and pay special attention to the weak forms of (was/were). - T. plays the audio, shows correct answers and givesfeedback as needed. (2 min).
- T. tells Ss. that they the will write questions with you/your about when they were thirteen or younger. They will answer the questions in the column YOU and will ask the same questions to their parters. (PW-BORs-4 min). - T. gives a demo and shares link with the questions. - Back to main session, T. tells students they will work wth another peer and different questions. (PW-BORs-4 min). - T. shares link with new questions. - Back to main session, Ss. share their answers with the whole class. (4 min9
- While Ss. discuss the questions, T. writes down on a slide some sentences with errors related to the target language. - T. shares his screen and ask Ss. if they can identify the problems in the sentences and elicit answers by asking questions. (self-correction, peer-correction, teacher-correction)