To provide clarification and practice of language used for talking on the phone.
To provide learners the opportunity to listening for specific information, as well as practice speaking and forming questions.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- 5 min - Setting context: Students to be asked: - If they use the phone much to communicate with their friends? - In which manner (speaking, texting, social media)? Which is most common - why? - Frequency? - Students to be prompted if they are quiet, or rephrase question/give personal example if they are confused.
- 8 mins - Students to listen to CD audio file 2-58 (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pgZI1paURyxlkYlnBMp-9EWWz3WD7s9P?usp=sharing) - 1 x gist and 1 x intensive task selected from the workbook to expose them to the TL: - Ex 5a, p.69, Face 2 Face Elementary (gist) - activity to be performed as a group - Students to listen to the audio file (2 texts on phone calls in an office setting), then answer questions from the text (on screen and to be sent), check answers, then OCFB (using transcript) - Ex 5b, p.69, Face 2 Face Elementary (intensive) - activity to be performed in BORs, after giving students instructions and going over the first question and answer set with them. The reading text is the transcript of the audio file from the previous activity. - Students to listen to audio file again, and answer questions specific questions using the TL by matching sentences to responses as a group (prompting particular students if there is insufficient interest/willingness)
- 12 mins - Once students have correctly identified the TL, go over MFP (examples to be used in the present tense) 1) Is that...[name of a person]? 2) Speaking. 3) This is...[name of person] 4) I'll call... [commitment to return someone's phone call due to it being a bad time to speak] - Refer to TP6 TLAS for further explanations on the above
- 10 mins - CP task - Ex3, p.33 of the Workbook - gap-fill exercise using TL - Questions to be sent via Google Forms - Assign BORs, students to complete the form individually then check with partner(s). OCFB at end, focusing on both correct and incorrect use of TL (do not individually identify students)
- 10 mins - FP task / communicative - Ex10, Face 2 Face Elementary Coursebook - Students to work in pairs in BORs - one person to devise questions using the TL, the other to answer the question. Then swap roles, with new questions being asked and answered. - DEC and OCFB highlighting correct and incorrect use of TL