Upper Intermediate level
Vocabulary: Students to improve their vocabulary skills, and learn new words through a compound adjective based lesson.
Speaking: To give students practice in speaking for fluency
Procedure (34-49 minutes)
* Put pictures of Jolie, Einstein and Obama on the board. Engage Ss by asking a few questions: who are they, what is their job etc... (T-S) *Put students in pairs and ask them to write down 5 words to describe the people in the pictures. (PW) *Elicit answers from Ss (WCFB) discuss, and write words on the board. *Ask the questions which parts of speech was used to describe the pictures, elicit the answer adjective
* Give Ss the short text, and ask them to describe Tom. Write answers on the board. Ask Ss what are the similarities between these words. (Ind- WC) * Put the new pictures on the board. Ask Ss in pairs to try and describe the picture using 2 words. Elicit answers. The aim of this is eliciting compound adjectives. (easy-going, self-conscious, open-minded, self-centred, big-headed, absent-minded) Introduce TL (PW, WC,TS) *Highlight the adjectives on the board by using distracting colours. Discuss the meaning of the new vocabulary. (adjective+noun) (adjective/adverb+past participle -ed) (adjective+participle -ing)
* Check the Ss' understanding of the meaning by using CCQ about the pictures and the identified vocabulary. Use synonyms and antonyms to test the Ss' understanding (T-S) easy-going: carefree, demanding self-conscious: shy, embarrassed open-minded: acceptant, open to suggestions big-headed: arrogant absent-minded: forgetful, alert, aware self-centred: selfish, egoistic *Repeat for form and pronunciation. Use drilling and stress points to emphasise pronunciation. (T-S)
* Further check Ss understanding of the meaning by putting definitions of the compound adjectives on the board. Ss to match the definition to the pictures. (WC) * Give gap-filling HO. (Ind) *Discuss their answers in pairs, follow with WCFB.
* Do exercise from the book. Ss to work individually where they need to think of 5 people they know and describe them using the TL. (ex.2, p48) *Ss to report their 5 people to their partners. (PW) * If time finish with a game. Taboo to guess compound adjective words (WC)