To provide fluency speaking practice in a casual conversation in the context of holidays
To provide clarification of holidays in the context of travel
To provide gist reading practice using a text about casual conversation in the context of holidays
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
1. Teacher shows a picture and elicits the activities taking place from students, writing Ss answers on the board. (Slide 1) 2. Teacher uses the examples to predict and present the main topic of the lesson. (Slide 2)
1. T shows a casual conversation between two people. One of them has gone on vacation recently and his friend is asking some questions about it. T will ask students to read individually for 2 minutes and then identify the answers to 2 questions (reading for gist): - Where did the person go on vacation? - Did he like his vacation? Why? 2. T asks for volunteers to answer via chat (writing) or utterances (speaking). T asks additional questions about the activities he mentions to check understanding and continue with the next task.
1. T asks students to identify the meaning of each TL item. Students will work in pairs in BO Rooms and check the meaning of the phrases in bold in the sentence using a chart. (3 minutes - Google Slides). 2. Students work in pairs in BO Rooms as T monitors. 3. Teacher checks the answers with a partner. 4. Teacher clarifies the A, F, and P of the TL items, going over some aspects for each item. This will be done through concept questions and drilling - particularly focusing on linking sounds. For example: - T: Ok, Is "had a great time" a formal or informal expression? - S: Informal. - T: What is the verb? - S: Have - T: And is had in the present simple or past simple? - S: Past simple. - T: Where's the stress? Listen to me "had a great time". Which words are stressed? - S: had, great, time. - T: Do you connect the words? Is there linking? Listen to me: "had a great time". - S: Yes, you connect. - T: Where do you connect? *T points at final consonants/vowels* - S: Had a - great - time - T: Great, please repeat: "had a great time" - S: Had a great time.
1. T sets up the activity - students must think about their last holiday and the activities they did during it - and then share their ideas with different partners at a time. They will change partners twice and speak to each partner 5 minutes each. T checks comprehension through ICQs before starting the activity. 2. Student interact with their first classmate, T monitors and takes notes of Ss' common mistakes. (5 min) 3. Student interact with their second classmate, T monitors and takes notes of Ss' common mistakes. (5 min) 4. Student interact with their third classmate, T monitors and takes notes of Ss' common mistakes. (5 min)
1. T asks students to share their answers to the whole class. 2. T gives positive feedback and goes over the mistakes students have made during the activity. T asks questions to help students identify the mistakes and correct them. 2. T asks if there are any additional doubts or questions. 3. T thanks Ss for participating and ends the class.