To provide practice and clarification for countable/uncountable nouns and the use of a/an/some/any in the context of food and drink.
To revise food vocabulary and provide speaking practice about the usage of a/an/some/any and countable/uncountable nouns in the context of food and drink.
Procedure (41-57 minutes)
1) I will start the lesson by saying a personal story about myself related to the food diary: "As you can see, I believe that I need to gain a lot of weight. So, I went to the doctor yesterday and he asked me to record and write everything that I eat to understand my eating habits. That's why i decided to buy a food ..... 'diary'". 2) I will distribute on Ss HO1 'food diary' and ask them to write and discuss in pairs what they usually eat in breakfast. (2 minutes) 3) I will monitor Ss while finishing the task. 4) After finishing, I will nominate 2 or 3 Ss for O/C feedback.
1) I will distribute on Ss HO2: "Look at the picture and write the missing letter, then complete the following table" + I will demo the task with them. (I will ask Ss to answer questions individually in 5 minutes, then check answers in pairs). 2) I will elicit answers from Ss + I will display answers on PPP.
- I will open PPP and tell Ss: "Now let's identify the food items in the 3 following baskets", then I will let them match the people with their baskets to prepare them for the guided discovery task.
Stage 1: (Guided discovery) - I will distribute on them HO3 (guided discovery) and ask them to finish the two tasks individually, then to check answers in pairs. Stage 3: (Language clarification) - I will elicit from Ss the answers and at the same time I will clarify the meaning and form from the PPP. - Concerning pronunciation, I will write in a piece of paper couple of sentences and I will model each sentence, then I will ask Ss to drill orally, then in small groups, then individually.
- I will distribute on Ss HO4 and I will ask Ss individually to complete the dialogue with a, an, some, or any + I will answer for them the first 2 questions + I will ask them to check their answers with their pairs after finishing. - I will elicit answers from Ss and I will provide the answer key on board.
- I will distribute on Ss HO5 and I will ask them to say (+) or (-) sentences describing the baskets in pairs + I will demo the activity with them. - I will monitor Ss very carefully to detect any language errors.
1) I will nominate 2 or 3 Ss for O/C feedback. 2) I will write on board the sentences that I found with errors in the freer practice and I will elicit the answers from them for language feedback. (I will highlight correction with red color on board)