To provide product writing practice of writing an e-mail cover letter in the context of responding to job advert.
To provide detailed reading practice using a text about e-mail cover letter in the context of responding to job advert.
Procedure (35-48 minutes)
- T starts the lesson by writing the question of "What's your dream job?" on the board and let Ss discuss in pairs for 2 minutes. - Ss discuss in 2 minutes. - T nominates 2 or 3 Ss for open class feedback.
- T uses the learner-centered way of presenting new vocabulary "Match the word with its definition". - T holds HO1, stands in a central position and asks Ss to match the 3 words with their definitions in the table provided in 3 minutes individually. T also asks Ss to keep the papers folded. - T distributes HO1. - T asks ICQs to check understanding. - Ss finish matching in 3 min. - T asks Ss to check their answers with their pairs. - Ss check answers with pairs. - T nominates 3 Ss to answer questions. - T clarifies meaning, word class and pronunciation for each word on board. - T uses CCQs to check understanding meaning for each word. - T then asks Ss to unfold their papers.
- T holds HO3 and asks Ss to read the letter and put it in the correct order in 5 minutes individually. - T distributes HO3. - T asks ICQs to check understanding. - Ss finish the task. - T asks Ss to check their answers with their pairs. - Ss check answers in pairs. - T asks Ss by their names to answer the questions.
- T holds HO4 & HO5 and tells Ss: "Now I'm going to distribute on you 2 letters, one formal and the other one is informal and I want you in groups in 5 min. to notice the differences between these two letters. Focus on the language used and the style of writing". - T distributes HO4 & HO5. - T asks ICQs to check understanding. - Ss finish the task. - T elicits the answers from Ss based on the comparison they made and draws their attention on the key feature of language used and style of writing. - T distributes HO6 with all key features they need to use in their formal writing.
- T asks Ss to put only on the desk HO6 and HO4 because they will use them only in the next task. - T holds HO7 and tells Ss to answer the first section only, then T asks Ss to take 3 minutes to write relevant experience, education and skills to write an e-mail cover letter about their own job. - T demos the task with Ss. - T holds HO7 again and tells Ss that they will now write a full email cover letter in the space provided in 7 minutes individually. - T recommends for Ss to use HO4 & HO6 as a guide in writing. - Ss write their e-mail cover letters.
- T distributes HO8 (checklist) and asks Ss to evaluate each other's e-mail cover letter in 3 minutes. - Ss checks with each other. - T nominates 2 or 3 Ss for O/C feedback. - T clarifies and language errors on board.