Beginner A1 level
To provide clarification and practice of language used for ordering food in the context of a menu and a restaurant dialogue.
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in the context of a restaurant dialogue.
Procedure (40-54 minutes)
1. T draws a picture of a person ordering in a restaurant. 2. T asks students "Where are these people?" and "Do you like going to restaurants?" 3. T elicits restaurant vocabulary. e.g. waiter/ waitress/ order/ pay/ eat/ bill/ menu
1. T gives students the menu handout. 2. In pairs, students match the words to the pictures. 3. Sts give feedback and T drills pronunciation TL.
1. T refers to the picture of the person ordering in a restaurant and explains they will build a dialogue together as a class. 2. T gives sts strips of paper with the pieces of dialogue out of order. 3. In groups of 3, sts try to put the dialogue in order. 3. Sts give FB and the T writes the dialogue on the WB.
1. T highlights the TL on the WB. 2. T asks CCQs. Can I have your pen, please, Birgu? Can I have your phone, please, Onur? When we want something we use "Can I have..........., please?" 3. T drills TL for stress and pronunciation.
1. T drills pronunciation and stress with WC, groups and solo. 2. T gradually removes words until the students have remembered the dialogue.
1. T sets up little restaurants - sts in groups of 3. 2. In groups of 3, sts practise the TL in role plays. 3. T gives delayed error correction.
1. Sts take turns in a role play out the front of the class. One person is the waiter, the other is ordering.