Copy of Technology and Inventions
Intermediate, B1 level
To practice reading for specific information and intensive related to Technology and Inventions in 20th Century.
Pre-teach vocabulary by focusing on ECDW processes. To let SS learn the meanings of unknown/unfamiliar words before reading the text. To encourage SS to use the vocabulary that they learn in their speaking and writing.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- I will use OHP to show some pictures to SS. - They will try to guess the topic that we will work on. -After they guess "Technology and Inventions" , the teacher will start pre-reading.
- I am going to show some pictures. Pictures will be about; electricity, commercial aeroplanes, space travel, vacuum cleaner, antibiotics, washing machine and vaccinations. Later, SS will try to guess what they are about. After they guess them, I will focus on CCQ. -Drill and Write steps are going to follow it. (ECDW processes)
- I will give a clear and simple instruction about gist reading. - I will give the text with the question ( Read the article and which invention/s do / does the article talk about?) to SS. They will read it individually. - The SS are going to compare their answers as a pairs. - The teacher gives AK to SS to check the correct answers.
- After we finish gist reading, I will mention Intensive Reading which means that they are going to read the whole text and try to comprehend what happens entirely. - Because they have the text, I will pass out a HO which contains some questions ( 1. What kind of people traveled long distances in the early twentieth century? 2. What two things happened in the twentieth century to make the world seem smaller? 3. How have cities changed in the last 100 years? Why? 4. What was special about the invention of nylon? 5. Why does James May think that motorbikes are important for teenagers? 6. What inventions was an important symbol of teenage rock music?) - They will work individually. - After they answer all the questions, the teacher handouts AK.
- The teacher is going to write a question on the WB. ( What do you think has been the most important piece of technology -medicine-education-home-travel invented in the last 100 years.) - The students will think 3 things in the part that they support and write them down individually. -After they finish their writing, they will work as a pair work and compare/discuss their opinions. While they are doing this activity, the teacher is going to monitor all the students and take some error notes. Later, the teacher will correct them on WB.