TP5 LP_Allison Lee
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of student's life circles
To provide practice of the past and present tense in the context of student's life circles
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
1) I will show my old personal photos from important events of my life. I will elicit Ss to guess why these photos are important to me. (ex: important person, important event) Then, I will ask the question below to engage Ss to the topic: Do you keep many photos of important events? Which do you treasure the most?
2) For the gist task, I will provide a handout with life circles. Orange circles are for the past events, and blue circles are for the present. Ss will fill in the blank with only key note but not the full sentences. For example, when the question is : "An important person when you were growing up" the answer will be: "my grandfather" CCQ: Orange circles are for the past or present events? (Past) CCQ: Are we writing down full sentences? (No)
3) I will provide some useful phrases below and cover pronunciation and sentence stress for Ss to use in the productive task stage: - Explaining your life circles … 1. … is important to me because … 2. … is the person who … 3. … is the place where 4. The last time I …was … 5. I haven’t seen … for … - Asking about life circles … 1. Why is/was …important to you? 2. Who/Where exactly is …? 3. Can you tell me a bit more about …? I will elicit Ss to say the stress first then correct them. For pronunciation, I will also elicit first and then drill it two times. Then, Ss will say it together for two times, then I will pick 2-3 Ss to read it individually to check accuracy.
4) Ss will be put into BORs to tell their partner about their life circles. Each students will have 4-5 mins to finish talking to one partner. I will ask Ss to make notes from other Ss's story. 5) After 10 mins is up, I will bring Ss back to the main lobby and let them know I am going to switch them to a new partner. They will repeat their life circles to a new partner. This way, they practice more speaking skill through repeating the content. CCQ: Are you only talking to just one partner? (No) CCQ: Are you repeating your life circles to the new partner? (Yes) 6) During this stage, I will hop into different BORs to collect the errors Ss make when speaking
7) After bring back Ss, I will ask couple Ss who they talked to and if they remember any of their partner's story. 8) Provide DEC (Delay-error-correction)