TP3 LP_Allison Lee
To introduce and practice have to / had to (positive and negative).
To provide Ss the opportunity to properly use have to/had to when having conversations.
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
1) I will show Ss my previous job photos and say "When I was a flight attendant, I had to ..." I will say the job description. Then, I will say "I am a teacher now. I have to ..." again, describe my job. To engage student to use "have to" and "had to" I will ask them to tell me about their job and job description using "have to" or "had to".
2) I am doing task 1 which is a word bank activity for Ss to fill in the job description. "have/has to" will be included in every sentences. Then, answer keys will be provided. - OCFB 3) For task 2 I will give Ss 2 minutes to read the text from ppt and then I will give out HO1 for them to answer the questions. Then, answer keys will be provided. - OCFB
4) I will cover meaning, form, and pronunciation of the target language "have to" and "had to". For meaning, I am using definition and timeline to teach Ss what is the meaning and when do we use it. For form, I am showing Ss positive form, negative form, and use in questions in present tense and past tense. For pronunciation, I am putting IPA on the board and also cover the weak form of "to" when in connected speech.
5) I am using fill in the blank task to check if Ss know how to use "have/had to" correctly. I will give them 3 mins to complete on their own. 6) They I will put them into BORs for 5 mins to check answers in pairs. Answer keys will be provided after I bring them back. - BORs
7) For free practice, I will ask them to first work on their own to tick the activity from HO3. Then, create sentences from 1-5 activities like "Do you have to get up early?" 8) I will put Ss into BORs to ask their partner questions and tick on the activities their partner has to do. - BORs 9) Bring Ss back from BORs and I will ask the questions below: 1. What do you both have to do? 2. What do you both don't have to do? 10) Conduct feedback