Celta course TP6
Beginner (A1) level
To provide practice of language used for ask for favors in the context of day to day life
To provide clarification of language used for making requests
To provide gist reading practice using a text about people asking for favors.
Procedure (33-48 minutes)
-Teacher greets the students. - Teacher asks students if there are any chores (at home or at work) that they don't like doing. Probe to see who they relegate to someone else. - After enough participation has taken place, Teachers formally introduce the topic of the lesson.
- Teacher presents the first activity of the lesson. Students will have to read a text (gist) and answer 3 questions about the text. This activity will last 5 minutes. ICQs: What are you going to do? How much time do you have? - Once time is up, Teacher will show the answers to the questions. Teacher asks if there are any doubts about the answers, and if there are, Teacher offers clarification.
- Teacher directs students' attention to the highlighted sentences on the text and asks students what they are used for. After a few attempts (students are very likely to get this right in attempt 1) Teacher introduces the focus of the lesson : Asking for favors.
- Teacher goes on to explain MFP. Teacher should place a bigger emphasis on form and pronunciation considering that most of the phrases are used for the same purpose, and this should be made clear to students.
- Teacher introduces activity 2.If there are too many students, then they should be paired up by using BORs. Students have to match the situation with the proper favor to be asked. Students have 5 minutes to complete the activity. ICQs: What are you going to do? How much time do you have for this activity? - Once time is up, Teacher provides the answers to the students. Teacher then asks if there are any doubts or confusions about the activity, if there are they should be clarified.
- Teacher introduces the second activity to the students. Once again, if there are enough students, this should be done in BORs. In this activity, students will ask a series of specific favors and they have to write what they believer should be asked based on everything they were taught. They will have 5 minutes for this activity. ICQs: What are you going to do? How much time do you have? - After time is up, Teacher conducts OCFB by having students read out loud what they wrote. - If necessary, DEC is included. - Class is dismissed.