Vuslat Vuslat

TP5 International Cinema
Elementary (A2) level


In this lesson students will practice listening by listening for gist and spesific information in the context of international cinema. They will be introduced to the vocabulary before the listening. Finally they will practise speaking for fluency by asking about their favourite films to each other.


Abc True or False
Abc Gap-fill handout
Abc PPT pictures

Main Aims

  • To develop students' listening skills in the context of international cinema

Subsidiary Aims

  • To develop students' speaking skills by giving them the opportunity to repeat the same sentences


Warmer/Lead-in (5-7 minutes) • To set lesson context and engage students

Show a picture of a cinema and ask what they do at a cinema and where the films are from. Ask what types of films they can watch at a cinema and give them 1 minute to discuss with their partners. At the end of 1 minute ask what they've got. Show the posters of 3 non-Hollywood films (Life is Beautiful, Hero, Amelie) and ask if they know where these films are and their types

Pre-Teaching Vocabulary (8-10 minutes) • To prepare students for the listening

Say 1 for yourself and two by showing one of the students and they go on counting. Write the number of the students onn the board and tell that is 100 %. Then count only the girls and write the number of the girls with the percentage (60 % - girls) and the rest are boys: 40 % - boys. Write the symbol of % and do some meaningful drilling for the word ""percent" Draw a chart and show the percentage of girls and boys on the chart and elicit the word "chart" by showing the drawing. Ask if there are a lot of girls or a lot of boys in the class and show the percentage on the chart to elicit the word "majority" Ask 4 of the students how old they are, write their ages on the board add them and divide by four to elicit the word "average" Do drillings for each.

Listening for gist (3-4 minutes) • To provide students with less challenging specific information listening tasks

Ask the sts what is the text they are going to listen about. Is it about Most popoular films? World Cinema? Types of the films? Ask them check their answer with their partners and give the answer.

Listening for spesific information (15-17 minutes) • To provide students with more challenging detailed, deduction and inference listening tasks

Give true / false HOs to the sts and ask them read and guess which is true or false in pairs. Give each pair only one HO and after they read and guessed give one more. Ask them listen and check if their guess was correct or not. Play the recording twice (or more if necessary) Write the answers on board and explain the false ones. Give the HOs with the chart. Ask them to listen and fill the blanks on the chart. Give the instructions by showing the chart on the board. Ask them to check their answers with their partners and ask the right answers to students, then write on the board.

Controlled Speaking Practice (5-6 minutes) • To provide with an opportunity to practice speaking for fluency

Write these four questions on the board and tell them they should ask these questions everyone in the class. What's your favourite film ? Where is it from? What type of a film is it? Who are the actors?

Error Correction (2-3 minutes) • To give the sts feedback about their speaking

Write some of their mistakes on the board and ask if they are correct. Correct the mistakes by eliciting.

Web site designed by: Nikue