Celta course TP4
To provide an introduction to and practice of homonyms in the context of personal possessions
To provide fluency speaking practice in a simple way in the context of the use of homonyms
To provide gist reading practice using a text about art and possessions
Procedure (41-43 minutes)
- Teacher greets the students. - Teacher introduces the topic of personal possessions, - Teacher shows one of his personal possessions and tells them why its valuable. - Teacher then shows Students some questions about personal possessions. Teacher then asks them to share their answers.
- Teacher shows a text to the students. They will be given a limited amount of time to read. - Teacher tells them that they should try to find an appropriate title for the text and share it once time is up.
- Once they are done sharing, Teacher asks them if they notice anything about the words in pink and blue. - After they have thrown a few guesses, they are told that those words are homonyms. - Teacher briefly explains what homonyms are.
- Teacher then shows the previous pink words and explains their meaning and pronunciation. (Form should not really be emphasized too much, other than pointing out the fact that form stays the same for all of them).
- After the explanation, Teacher draws students' attention to the blue words, and asks them to think about the possible different meaning the words could have. - Teacher presents the activity to the students and models it for them. - Students are sent to BORs to complete the activity in pairs. (5 minutes) - Once they are back, OCFB takes place.
- Teacher presents some questions to the students that contain homonyms (2 questions per homonym, 3 homonyms) - Teacher then tells students that they will be sent to BORs to talk to each other about the questions. - Monitoring happens. - DEC if necessary.