● To provide clarification and practice of quantifiers in the context of desert trip
● To provide accuracy in the context of camping trip ● To provide specific information listening practice using a text about advice on safety in the context of desert trip
Procedure (42-54 minutes)
LEAD -IN To familiarise ss with the topic 1. Greet learners. 2. Ask them how they are feeling. Ask if they have had their food. How much? Did they eat a lot? Did they eat very less? 3. Show ss a ppt of a desert. Ask if they can count the sand. 4. Ask if they know which animal is called the ship of the desert [ans: the camel]. 5. After their response, show a ppt of camels. Ask if they can count them. PPT T-SS 7 mins
1. Divide ss into groups of 2 or 3. 2. Ask ss if they would like to go on a trip to the desert. Why or why not? 3. Ask ss to list at least 7 things they would need if they go on such a trip (2 mins). 4. Ask ss to compare their lists with their group members (1 min). Pick some groups and ask them what from their list can be counted and what cannot. 5. Tell ss about Jeff Wilkinson and the audio. Tell ss to listen to the audio. 6. Ask ss what items did Jeff suggest which they have on their list.
1. Ask ss to listen to the audio and complete the gaps (Ex.3, P.84). 2. Tell them they can ask you to stop if they hear the words to be filled. They will have 5 mins to complete the exercise. 3. Check ICQs. Distribute the papers for the exercise
1. Tell ss that the words used are called Quantifiers. 2. Draw three columns on the board under ‘Countable Nouns’, ‘Uncountable Nouns’ and ‘Both CN and UN’. 3. Challenge ss to point out the quantifiers which we can use under each column. 4. Write ss’ answers on the board for reference
1. Show ss Ex 1 in P.85. 2. Tell them they need to fill the gaps with appropriate quantifiers. They will have 3 minutes. 3. Check ICQs. 4. Distribute papers for the exercise. 5. After ss are done, ask them to compare their answers with their partner/group members.
1. Re-divide ss into groups. 2. Project certain things for ss to talk about: e.g. Cinemas, cafes, parks, cars, pollution, etc. 3. Ask ss to tell each other about the places they live in and use quantifiers, which they have learnt, in the conversation. 4. Tell them they can use ideas projected on screen. Give them 3 mins. 5. Check ICQs. 6. Ask ss about what their partner/group members told them.