New Success - Elementary- Unit 5
To provide clarification of quantifiers and there is/there are in the context of rooms and furnitures
To provide clarification and practice of room types and furniture names
Procedure (48-48 minutes)
- T opens page 42 on the e-Disk and shows activity 1. - T asks Ss to match the rooms with the names of the rooms. - T announces 1 minute to complete the matching. - T receives the answers and corrects if there are any mistakes. - T opens activity 2 and asks Ss to match the numbers on the pictures with the correct furnitures and compare their answers with each other. - T announces 4 minutes for the activity. - After they finish, T asks Ss to volunteer for the answers by raising their hands. - T receives the answers and matches the numbers with the items on her computer to later reveal correct answers through e-disk. - T opens next activity and reveals the "Mind the Trap" box. - T instructs Ss to be careful about the plural forms of 'shelf' and 'knife'.
- T opens activity 3 and asks Ss to read the small paragraphs and find the owner of the house in the pictures. - T announces 3 minutes. - After 3 minutes, T receives Ss answers and corrects them if necessary. - After that, T opens activity 4 and asks Ss to read the text and choose which rooms Eva likes. - T announces 5 minutes to finish the reading. - After 5 minutes, T receives Ss answers and corrects them if necessary.
- T opens activity 5 and asks Ss to answer the questions by using the example sentences in the texts. -T announces 4 minutes for the activity and asks Ss to compare their answers with their partner. - After 4 minutes, T receives answers and corrects if necessary while also referring to example sentences from the text. - T opens activity 6 and asks Ss to complete missing parts on the table, while also informing them that they can refer to the email text for examples. - T announces 4 minutes for the activity. - After 4 minutes, T nominates Ss and asks them to come to the board and comlete the table. - After Ss comlete the table, T checks for wrong answers and asks other Ss correct the mistakes.
-T opens activity 7 and asks Ss to complete the sentences using 'is, are, aren't, isn't'. - T announces 5 minutes for the activity. - After the Ss finish the activity, T asks Ss to volunteer. - T receives answers and corrects them if necessary.
- T opens activity 8 and asks Ss to correct the sentences according to the pictures on page 42. - T announces 5 minutes for the activity. - After 5 minutes, T asks Ss to volunteer and correct the sentences. - T receives the answers, writes them on the activity page and checks the answers from the system. - T explains if there are wrong answers by referring to the pictures.
- T asks Ss to take out their smart phones and open the photos of their room. - T directs Ss to exchange their phones with their partners and try to remember which furnitures there are in their rooms by asking 'Is there/Are there..." questions. - T directs Ss to the furniture vocabulary list on activity 2. - T opens activity 10 to show some example questions and sentences. - After Ss finish asking each other questions and try to remember what they have in their rooms, T asks random students 'Is there/ Are there x in his/her rooms?' - After receiving answers, T provides feedback. - At the end, T thanks everyone and ends the lesson.