TP4 - The Silver Screen
To develop gist, scan and detailed reading skills using a text about a Star Wars fan in the context of film.
To provide clarification of film vocabulary in the context of film.
Procedure (45 minutes)
1. T shows the sts pictures of famous actors and asks the sts who they are and what they have in common. 2. T elicits different film words and writes them in a vocabulary column. e.g. movie, cinema, actor, film star, DVD, genre 3. T displays three questions and asks the sts to discuss in small groups. 4. T asks for FB from the groups.
1. T displays pictures representing film genres (kinds of film) on WB. 2. T distributes film genre matching cards to the sts. 3. Sts work in small groups to match the pictures with the genres. 4. T leads WC feedback, checking meaning with the students. 5. T asks sts for some film examples (English or Turkish) of the different genres and writes them on the WB.
1. T writes some film words on the WB and asks sts if they know the Star Wars films. 2. Sts discuss the Star Wars films in groups 2. Sts give feedback as a whole class.
1. T shows sts the handout and asks students to read the article, looking for four things that tell us that Todd is a Star Wars fan. 2. Sts read the article. 3. Sts do a peer check in pairs. 4. Sts give feedback.
1. T reads the comprehension questions. 2. Sts read for detail and answer the comprehension questions. 3. Sts check their answers in pairs. 4. Sts give FB.
1. T displays questions on the WB. 2. T checks meaning of the questions with the sts. 3. Sts practise asking questions and answering in pairs. 4. Sts give FB on content. 5. T error corrects.