TP 7 - Writing
To introduce and provide practice of writing a short email (35-45 words) inviting friends (in another country) to visit you.
To introduce and clarify common colloquialisms used in informal settings with friends.
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- Show Ss photos of different places in Mexico on jamboard. - Content prep: Ask them where they are from & have them share with partner. Ask how would you invite your partner to visit you/your hometown? What would you tell them? - ICQ: what do you do? (talk with a partner about hometown/invite for a visit) In pairs or individual? (pairs) How long? (~3-4 mins). OCFB (~1 min)
- Show Ss my model email. What type of text is this? (email) Ask them what they notice about the email. - Have Ss work in pairs in BORs to organize/identify the different parts of the email on wordwall (~2-3 mins). Tell Ss to refer back to the model email. OCFB to go over organization (CCQs: what goes first/second/third/etc.) (~1-2 mins). ICQ: what do you do? (organize & identify the different email parts) In pairs or individually? (pairs) How long? (2-3 mins) o Opening (Dear Ashley & Courtney) o Purpose of the email (body/“if you’re free…come …for a visit”) o Closing (Yours Truly) o Sign-off/signature (Lauren)
- Next have Ss work in pairs in BORs (~5-6 minutes) on google forms to identify the bolded language that is part of the email. ICQ: what do you do? (identify language) In pairs or individual? (pairs) How long? (5-6 mins). OCFB (~3-4 mins) -A. How are [you guys]?; B. [It’s been awhile] but I would love to see you both soon. ; C. [If you’re free, come] to Oklahoma [for a visit]! - Qs for google form: A. What is the meaning of this sentence? (asking how my friends are) ‘You guys’ describes what? (my friends) What is the part of speech? (plural pronoun) B. What does this sentence mean? (I miss my friends) When did I last see my friends? (not specified, but not recently) What is the correct form of ‘it’s been’? (it + has + been) What are the parts of speech? (pronoun + auxiliary verb + past participle + adverb) C. Is this an invitation to meet? (yes) Can visiting only happen if my friends have time? (yes) What part of speech is ‘if’? (conjunction) What is the correct form? (conjunction + clause (you are free) + comma + verb (+to) + place + clause (for a visit)); Are these phrases formal or informal? (informal) - CCQs for OCFB: Would you say this to a friend or your boss? (friend) Does this describe 1 person or more than 1 person? (more) Can it be men & women? (yes) What are the correct parts of speech? (adverb + verb + plural pronoun); Do we know exactly when I saw them last? (no, it’s not specified) Have I seen them at the time of this email? (no) What has been awhile? (it’s = time) Why do we use has been? (past perfect progressive because past action that is ongoing); How do we know it’s an invitation? (Come to a place at a certain time) What’s the place & time? (Oklahoma in the summer) What does free mean; free what? (free time) Does it change meaning since ‘if’ is at the beginning? (not really, still describing the condition that needs to be met for something to happen) What two words make up ‘you’re’? (you & are); How do you know these are informal? (contractions & casual language, no polite request = command)
- Ss will now write their own email inviting a friend (from another country) to visit on google docs (each Ss will have own page with their name). Refer back to my model email. ICQ: what do you do? (write own email) In pairs or individually? (individually) How long? (15 mins) - Show Ss some additional informal phrases they can use if needed on jamboard. (Ex: What’s up, How’ve you been, I miss you, I haven’t seen you in ages, I want to see you, When are you free? Come visit me, Come visit me when you can/are free) Ss can ask if they need help. - Elicit Ss response on what Ss should include: organization (opening, body, closing) & invitation (when & where)
- Provide Ss with checklist in chat (google checklist) so they can peer-edit their emails & give each other feedback in BORs (~5-6 mins). ICQ: what do you do? (edit a peer email with checklist & give feedback) How long? (5-6 mins) -Checklist: 1. Is there a greeting? 2. Is there a closing? 3. Do you invite them to your country? 4. Do you include when they should come? - OCFB & DEC of common mistakes noticed during writing practice & peer-correction (~3-4 mins) on jamboard