By the end of the lesson students will produce writing practice of a review in the context of movies
To provide gist reading practice using a text about the film Annihilation in the context of movie review
Procedure (39-47 minutes)
- T shares Jamboard with Ss - T elicits the difference between seeing and watching a movie. - T displays the following questions: What was the last film you watched? Would you recommend it? - T demos with her answer. - Instructions: Discuss your answers in pairs. - Students discuss in Breakout rooms (3 min) - T conducts OCFB and asks a couple of students their opinion (1 min)
Teacher together with students elicits the meaning: - Haul off - Edge: Synonyms? Border/limit. - Gear: Synonyms? Equipment.
- T shares the "Annihilation" review. - T displays the following questions: Do you think it is an interesting movie? Would you watch it? (again) - Instructions: Read the review and answer the question in the chatbox. (3 min). ICQs: What are you going to do first? After you read the text, what are you going to do? - T elicits the parts of a movie review. (3 min). - T displays the next slide "Words to Use as Sentence Starters." Together with the teacher, students choose the correct column for each word, then T elicits the meaning with some examples. (3 min).
- Instructions: WRITE THE REVIEW OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE (15 min).
- T elicits the checklist students will need to revise their peer's review. (2 min) - T shares a checklist in google documents. - Instructions: Read your partner's review and check it out with the list. (3 min) - Instructions: Tell your partner your opinion about their review (4 min)
- T writes samples of learners’ production on the screen and sets a task for the whole group to identify the correct and incorrect sentences and correct the latter ones. - T conducts OCFB