To provide practice and clarification of comparatives and superlatives in the context of Physical appearances
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of physical appearances
Procedure (37-48 minutes)
- T share Jamboard with Ss - T displays images on screen with a woman dressed in four different ways - T asks Ss How the woman's clothes change her appearance in each picture. - T demos with her personal opinion. - Instructions: Discuss your answers in pairs. - Students discuss in Breakout rooms (2 min) - T conducts OCFB and asks a couple of students their opinion (2 min)
- T asks the question to be answered before listening. "Do you agree with her ideas?" - Instructions: Listen to the recording for the general idea (2 min) - ICQs: Are we listening for much detail? No - T reads students the question again and asks them to answer in the chatbox. - Instructions: Write your answers in the chatbox. (1 minute) - T conducts OCFB and asks students what they think about what they have just heard. (1 min)
- T explains the lesson will be about comparative and superlatives forms and elicits Ss to the definition of both. - T displays the transcription of the recording. - T asks them to read, and while they are reading, they have to type in the chatbox the comparatives and superlatives they find. - Instructions: Read and type the comparatives or superlatives you find. - T demos the first one. - T repeats the instructions: Read and type the comparatives or superlatives you find. - T writes their answers while they are typing them in the chatbox.
- Teacher, together with the students, elicits the part of the speech of comparatives and superlatives. - T elicits rules and examples of comparative adjectives. a) Adjectives adding ER ending. B) Adjectives using more ---- than. - T elicits the form of irregular forms of comparative adjectives. (Good, bad, far) - T explains other forms of comparisons. T personalizes the target language by asking questions about their family. - T elicits superlatives rules and the irregular forms of some adjectives. (Good, bad, far)
- If time allows it the whole group answers exercise 3. (2 min) - Exercise 2. - Instructions: Individually, answer the next exercise. (2 min) - T demos the first one. - Repeat instructions. - OCFB with a couple of students check some answers. (1min)
- Instructions: Tell your partner the differences between you and your family. - T demos her answer. - Learners work in pairs and discuss. (Breakout rooms) (3 minutes) - T conducts OCFB following up on the productive stage.
- T writes samples of learners’ production on the screen and sets a task for the whole group to identify the correct and incorrect sentences and correct the latter ones. - T conducts OCFB