Present Simple (Spelling of the -s form and Pronunciation of the -s form).
English A level
To provide clarification and practice of present simple -s form. in the context of visiting a new country/tourism.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation. In the context of visiting a new city/tourism.
Procedure (53-7 minutes)
1. I will ask the students about their favourite city in China. 2. I will demonstrate/speak about my favourite city (location, attractions, food, weather and culture). 3. I will give the students 2 minutes to ask each other about their favourite city. 4. After they finish they will briefly discuss/share their answers with me.
1. The students will take minute to read the words in exercise 4 and make sure they know all of them. 2. After reading the words they will begin adding the -s form for them using a pencil not a pen. 3. After they finish they will share their answers with me.
1. After sharing their answers with me the students will then check their answers and fix the mistakes. 2. I will teach and demonstrate. 3. The students will re-read their answers individually one more time after learning the correct spelling.
1.After reading individually, in pairs the students will take turns reading the words to each other. 2. I will give them feedback on accuracy while and after practicing.
1. The students will first read the sentences in exercise 6. 2. They will then complete the sentences on their own using a pencil not a pen. 3. After finishing the exercise they will share their answers with me.
1. At this stage the students will mainly individually and chorally drill with me. 2. I will also provide the IPA of each word. ( Hopes : /ˈhoʊps/ ) ( eats : /ˈits/ ) ( Misses : /ˈmɪsəz/, /ˈmɪsɪz/ ) ( Washes : /ˈwɑʃɪz/ ) ( Catches : /ˈkætʃəz/, /ˈkætʃɪz/ ) ( Buzzes : /ˈbəzɪz/ ) ( Mixes : /ˈmɪksəz/, /ˈmɪksɪz/ ) ( Carries : /ˈkæɹiz/, /ˈkɛɹiz/ ) ( Worries : /ˈwɝiz/ ) ( Pays : /ˈpeɪz/ ) ( Enjoys : /ˌɛnˈdʒɔɪz/, /ɪnˈdʒɔɪz/ ) ( Goes : /ˈɡoʊz/ ) ( Does : /ˈdəz/, /dɪz/ ) ( Has : /ˈhæz/, /həz/ ) ( Grabs : /ˈɡɹæbz/ ) ( Reads : /ˈɹidz/ ) ( Hugs : /ˈhəɡz/ ) ( Lives : /ˈɫaɪvz/, /ˈɫɪvz/ ) ( Laughs : /ˈɫæfs/ ) ( Falls : /ˈfɔɫz/ ) ( Changes : /ˈtʃeɪndʒəz/, /ˈtʃeɪndʒɪz/ ) ( Picks : /ˈpɪks/ ) ( Runs : /ˈɹənz/ )
In pairs, discuss things you do when you go to a new city. Mention at least three things. 1. tell the students about the free practice. 2. Demonstrate. 3. Give clear instructions. 4. Give feedback on both accuracy and fluency after they finish.
Do the exercises on the last page of the handout.