Upper Intermediate level
Listening: To give students practice in listening for gist and detail in the context of a legal discussion over identity theft.
Speaking: To give students practice in speaking for fluency.
Procedure (38-52 minutes)
* Engage the students by asking them what they remember from yesterday's lesson in terms of crime. Elicit answers and put them on the board. (WC) * Put Ss in pairs and ask them if they have ever committed a crime and if they have ever had to get advice from a lawyer. Give personalised example to make sure they understand. (PW) * Ask students to report back to the classroom what information they have found out about their partner. (WCFB)
* Tell the Ss that they are going to listen to an audio clip based on a conversation between Bonnie and a lawyer. Ask Ss to read the prompts on their prepared HO and guide them if they have any problems. (WC-Ins) * Explain to the Ss that they will need to listen to the audio and tick the things they talk about. (Ind)
* Play the audio clip (Ind) * Put the Ss into pairs and compare their answers. (PW) * Check answers (WCFB)
* Tell the Ss that they will listen to the audio again. This time they will need to take notes in order to answer some set questions on the second part of the HO. Use ICQ to check their understanding of what they need to be doing. Allow time for the Ss to understand the questions, read the questions out loud to the Ss if necessary. (WC-Ins) * Play the CD (Ind) * Put Ss in different pairs and discuss their answers. (PW) * If most students have not been able to answer the questions play the CD again. (Ind) * Check answers (WC-FB)
* Put Ss into groups of 3- A B C (Preparation for GW) * Tell Ss they will be given different paragraphs about crime and tell will need to write 5 words to help them remember key facts. (Ins) * Handout the paragraphs, let Ss write their 5 words. (Ind) * Monitor Ss, help the with vocabulary if necessary (T-S) * Collect the paragraphs back. Ask Ss to describe the crime that they have read about to the rest of their group. Then tell them to decide as a group which punishment each crime should get. (GW) * Ask the Ss to report back to the class their decisions (WC-FB)